Saturday, July 23, 2011

On Oracle's legal battle with Google on Java!

Oracle's legal battle with Google brings the debate on U.S patenting system itself. It is ridiculous to patent a programming language architecture. Imagine the situation if Tony Hoare wants a share for using quick sort which is almost ubiquitous in databases or any large computing systems or UT Austin wants share for Dijkstra's shortest path algorithm from Cisco or Google or any other company that is using shortest path for any application. Although, I got a few patents and I completely understand that it is just a corporate tool to protect them in face of competition and it has no other purpose. I would always vote for eradicating this ridiculous system. Oracle's motivation is in fetching some free money from Google. Oracle really did nothing with the patents they had purchased from Sun and now they wanted to use those patents.

No comments: