Tuesday, May 24, 2011

US patent systems!!

I only know about US patent system and hence I can not really comment on any other country's patent system. However, US patent system seems incredibly idiotic. It is typically written in a format that is quite unreadable. People apply many patents that are almost similar. Patents exist to protect big corporations. The infrastructure for patents cost quite a lot of money for any country and I feel that it is a huge waste of money and man hours. Anyway, I don't really care much about patents, but I can not restrain laughing seeing snippets of an Yahoo patents that gave them a right for any web search that ranks the search results!!

See this snippet :
"A search system provides search results to searchers in response to search queries and the search results are ranked. The ranking is determined by an automated ranking process in combination with human editorial input. A search system might comprise a query server for receiving a current query, a corpus of documents to which the current query is applied, ranking data storage for storing information from an editorial session involving a human editor and a reviewed query at least similar to the current query, and a rank adjuster for generating a ranking of documents returned from the corpus responsive to the current query taking into account at least the information from the editorial session."
and ... continuing
"Promotions and demotions might be absolute ("Rank this document first highest."), relative to itself ("Rank this document four positions higher than it would otherwise be."), or relative to another document ("Rank this document higher than this other document."). Other types of promotion/demotion might include "remove this document from consideration no matter what the automatic system suggests", "this set of documents are to be given equal (`tied") rankings", "do not rank this document higher than position P" for some integer P, or the like."

No comments: