Friday, September 7, 2012

Image Quality in Online Shopping

It turns out that the perceptual quality of the product images is an important factor for improving customer engagement in e-commerce sites. I have recently published two papers with some of my current team members on studies of impact of image quality in online shopping  ( WWW 2011, MDMKDD 2012).  In these papers, we have shown how one can use an image quality measure to improve the NDCG  of clicks in online shopping sites. This aspect was also studied by marketing researchers in past since it sounds like a no brainer that images are important for online shopping.
However, I believe it can actually be more important in future than it is today with the advent of new technologies in digital photography, availability of high quality camera with smart phones.  The assessment of image quality is a hard problem. In one of the papers I wrote on this topic ( SPIE 2012), I have discussed the notion of image quality in the context of online shopping. However, a lot more work can be done in this area to use high level visual attributes in the assessment of image quality. 

No comments: